Biological processes in environmental engineering 017022
Lecturer (two weekly hours): Dr. Sivan Klas firstname.lastname@example.org
Tutor (one weekly hour): Nirit Cohen email@example.com
Final exam – 60% (55 minimum to pass course). Open material.
Midterm (Magen) – 20%
Homework – 20%
Bonus: 1 point for answering all Kahoot! questions, up to 5 points
At the end of the course, the student will be able to write metabolic equations of common processes in environmental engineering, assess the biolocal processes under different environments, assess biological reaction kinetics and perform basic design of common biological reactors.
- Thermodynamics, Redox reactions
- Organism categorization
- Oxygen demand as a measure of organic matter
- Energy capture in the cell: catabolic and anabolic mechanisms
- Microbial kinetics
- Biological reactors
- Nutrient removal
- Anaerobic processes
- Extensive processes
- Rittmann B.N., McCarty P.L., 2001. Environmental Biotechnology: Principal and Applications
- Sawyer C.N., McCarty P.L., 1994. Chemistry for Environmental Engineering. McGraw-Hill Book Company.
- Inc Metcalf & Eddy: George Tchobanoglous; Franklin L. Burton; Franklin Burton; H. David Stensel , 2002. Wastewater Engineering: Treatment and Reuse McGraw-Hill Inc.
- Henze, M., Harremoes, P., Cour Jansen, J.l., Arvin, E. Wastewater Treatment Biological and Chemical Processes, 3rd ed., 2002