014103 – Introduction to Engineering Mechanics
Weekly Lecture Topics
1. Introduction to Mechanics
2. The rigid body
3. Vector formulation of force and moment
4. Equivalent systems and the simplest equivalent system
5. Equilibrium of a particle and equilibrium of a rigid body
6. Point loads and distributed loads
7. Centers of area, mass and gravity; second moment of the area (moment of inertia)
8. Introduction to structures
9. Equilibrium of multi-body structure; Frames
10. Planar and space trusses
11. Beams and frames – 2-D and 3-D formulation
12. Differential and integral relationships for beams with distributed loads
13. Generalization of formulation for a planar frame and arch
114051 – Physics 1
Tutorials Participation is mandatory.
Homework – 10%
Weekly submission of the homework is mandatory.
Pop-quizzes – 10%
Midterm exam – 25%:
If the final exam grade is greater than the midterm grade, then the midterm grade will not be taken into account. Students are highly encouraged, but not required, to take the midterm exam.
Final Exam – 55% or 80%:
A grade of 55% at least is required on the exam in order to pass the course. An overall grade of 65% is required to pass the course.
Contact Hours per Week
Lecture: 3 hours
Recitation: 2 hours