M.Sc. and Ph.D studies in Biotechnology and Food Engineering
The Technion’s Faculty of Biotechnology and Food Engineering established in 1953, has significantly contributed to the development of the food and biotechnology industry in Israel, in terms of cooperation and research, of training food engineers who today occupy key positions in the food and biotechnology industry, the pharmaceuticals industry, the cosmetics industry, etc. With the development of the biotechnology industry in Israel and worldwide, the faculty is one of the few to incorporate areas of biotechnology and food engineering under one combined degree. The Technion’s Faculty of Biotechnology and Food Engineering embodies diverse enterprises which uniquely merge research in engineering and areas of life science and nanotechnology.
Among the varied studies being carried out in the faculty, there are:
- Biotechnological methods to produce pharmaceuticals and food additives
- Controlled release systems used in cancer therapy and cellular therapy
- Development of optical sensors to identify pathogenic bacteria
- Growth of blood vessels and heart tissue as treatment for blocked arteries or a post cardiac event
- Development of food-enriching-systems with essential nutrients
- Development of biotechnological methods to efficiently utilize cellulose as a renewable energy source
- Development of antibiotic peptide-based substitutes
- Development of novel “green” disinfectant methods to increase safety in food consumption
- Research on bacterial resistance to antimicrobial therapies (antibiotics, disinfectants and preservatives)
The faculty offers a range of research topics.